Friday, February 7, 2014

Grandma Love

Her name said it all, my grandmother Myra Lee Love passed away last week, January 29, 2014 (Kansas Day) just two weeks before her 92nd birthday. She was born on Valentine's Day in 1922 in Neosho Rapids, Kansas where she grew up, married my grandpa Roy Levern Love on October 18, 1942 and raised her 5 children on the family farm in the Flint Hills aptly named "Love Hill." I am blessed to be one of her 10 grandchildren and to have grown up under the loving care of this beautiful woman. We always knew we were loved. Of his 5 kids, my grandpa always says "there's not a bad one in the bunch." And he's right. Each one of his kids (my mom, an aunt, and three uncles) is a hard worker, a truly good person, and they love their parents, spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews dearly. We all learned from the best.

Though it is truly sad and unexpected to let her go, we can all agree that this is the way she would have wanted it to be. She was able to live her whole life with sound mind, body and her dignity intact. She was a true role model in many ways, as too are my aunts, uncles and cousins. I'm so proud to be a part of this family. And I think what I love most about my family is the lack of drama and the abundance of acceptance. There's not much bickering or fighting of any kind. We all work together to "do what makes sense" --in any given situation, as grandma put it. What I admire most is my grandparents dedication to each other. They were married for over 70 years. Yesterday my husband and I reached our 15 year wedding anniversary milestone. We gave each other our annual "high five" and said "Go Team" as we jokingly do every year but this year was special because even though I had to say goodbye physically to one of the most beautiful people that I look up to on this earth, I know she's still here. She taught me how to love unconditionally and to try my best in life and I know I can get through even the hardest of times when I think of her and all the strength and love she shared with us.

I am so very happy that she was able to meet my girls at Christmas time. She was an avid reader of my blog and couldn't wait to count these girls among her great grandchildren. She accepted them into the family from the very beginning and hoped along with us that they could someday be ours. Her support has given me hope and strength in this long fostering journey that we travel.

Thank you Grandma Love, for all the lives you've touched. You are loved and we miss you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment